The Gothic Catedral de Santa María de la Sede is the largest cathedral in the world.
Construction began in 1402 and continued for over 100 years. In 1987 it was registered as a World Heritage site by UNESCO.
The campanile of the cathedral, known as ‘La Giralda‘, is the most famous symbol of the city.
It was once a minaret of the mosque that previously stood on the site.
The statue at the top, meant to indicate the supremacy of the Christian faith, is called ‘El Giradillo’.
On the western side the main door to the cathedral’s central nave is known as the Door of Assumption.
It is flanked either side by the Door of the Baptism (pictured) and the Door of San Miguel.
On the south side is the Door of Saint Cristopher also known as De la Lonja. A replica of the “Giraldillo” stands in front of its gate.
The square on this side is known as Plaza del Triunfo.
It’s named after the Templete del Triunfo de Nuestra Señora del Patrocinio, a monument containing an image of the Virgin and Child, built in 1756.
The square on the eastern side is known as Plaza Virgen de los Reyes. The ornate doorway of the Archidiócesis de Sevilla is on one side of the square.
In the middle of the square is a monumental fountain and lamp post known as the Fuente de la Plaza Virgen de los Reyes.
The water-spouting heads are replicas of Roman grotesques found in the Casa de Pilatos, a former ducal palace.
Diagonally opposite the cathedral is the Alcázar of Seville.
The main entrance is the Puerta del León.
The panel of ceramic tiles depicting the lion was put in place relatively recently in 1892.
More posts to follow about Barrio Santa Cruz.